The National Federation of the Blind welcomes all blind people, parents of blind children, blind students, those losing vision, and more. We are a family of members and friends who know that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
How to Join
The best way to become a member of the National Federation of the Blind is to join your local chapter where you will learn more about what we do and meet other blind people in your community.
Connect with your local chapter now.
Benefits of Membership
The National Federation of the Blind can help you:
- Find hope and move forward after vision loss.
- Access local and nationwide networks of blind people who can provide information and support about all aspects of living, working, learning, and thriving as a blind person.
- Work with other blind people to change misconceptions about blindness, policies and laws that affect the blind, and the individual lives of people who are blind or who are losing vision.
- Meet and make friends with blind people who share your profession, hobbies, interests, or goals.
- Learn about and select the right technology for your active and productive life as a blind person.
You’ll also have access to all of the following services and resources:
- The world’s largest audio information service for the blind, NFB-NEWSLINE®, is free to anyone who is legally blind. NFB-NEWSLINE® makes over four hundred newspapers and magazines, as well as TV schedules, localized emergency weather alerts, and job listings, available on demand to blind readers by telephone, online, or via an iPhone/iPad app.
- A free white cane, the basic tool for independent travel by the blind.
- A free slate and stylus, the basic tools for writing Braille.
- The National Federation of the Blind Independence Market, which offers hundreds of products especially designed for the blind.
- Thirty national scholarships, totaling over $100,000, for outstanding blind students, as well as other scholarships through our state affiliates.
- Innovative programs for blind children and youth, including the Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) program for beginning Braille readers and a number of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs especially designed for blind students of all ages.
- And much more!
But the most important reason to join the National Federation of the Blind is that we need your time, your talents, your hands, your heart, and your dreams. In short, we need you!
Connect with your local chapter now. Or, contact us to learn more about becoming a member.
Already a member?
If you’re interested in learning more ways to help as a member, check our 101 ways to help!